A Camouflaged Lie

There is an age-old lie that Satan wants you to believe.

At one point or another all of us have have been tempted to believe this lie. Do not be deceived. Satan is crafty and comes as an angel of light. He takes God’s truth and uses 90% – the remaining 10% he warps with the intent to harm you.

Why? Well, like it or not, as Christians we find ourselves on the front lines of a spiritual battle that has raged for thousands of years.

“We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” – Ephesians 6:12

The particular lie I’m speaking of attacks your identity. It seeks to damage how you see and feel about yourself. Now, there are many words Satan can use to help us all believe the same lie. My version may be different that yours. That is what makes Satan so crafty.

What is the lie? You are sin.

What is the truth? You have chosen sin. (So have I! We’re human.)

There is a big difference between choosing sin and being sin, but Satan wants to blur that line in our minds to create one big grey area.

(For abuse victims, especially childhood abuse victims, the lie is much more pervasive. Abuse victims not only believe “You are sin,” but also falsely take on the sin of their abuser by believing the lie that “The abuse is your fault.” )

You see, if Satan can convince you that you are less than God’s precious child, fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14), then you are vulnerable to believing a whole slew of other lies to go along with it. This steals the peace and joy God provides for you, thus slowing down your work for God’s kingdom, which gives the enemy more influence in this world.

If you’ve ever experienced shame, then the enemy was successful in helping you believe there was something sinful within you, rather than being convicted by the Holy Spirit that you made a sinful choice.

I was never tempted to think the lie “I am sin” directly. But I was tempted and believed “I am not good enough.” “There is something wrong with me.” “I’m guilty of sin, therefore I’m a bad person.” “I can be forgiven if I do enough good works.” 

There is another tactic the enemy uses to convince you of this lie. He works hard to persuade that sinning is the safe and feel-good action to take.

“You’re powerful.” “You’re taking control.” “You’re playing it safe.”

As a result, you may have chosen to steal, seek comfort in chemicals or food, or listen to fear rather than obey God.

But afterward, he shows your choices as so-called proof of labels that are not of God. And those same choices that you felt confident making, swiftly turn into accusations by the father of lies: “You’re a thief.” “You’re an addict.” “You’re a coward.”

The truth is, your choices were sinful. But YOU are still a beloved child of God. This is the identity God gave you when He chose you before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4) and the identity Christ sealed for you when He died on the cross and took on your sins (2 Corinth. 5:21).

Whether you believe it or not, the truth is still truth. The choice you make to believe the truth is what will set you free from the shackles of shame and fear the enemy so desperately wants you to accept.

Every day we have choices to make. None of us will make them perfectly – especially on our own. We need God’s strength and the leading of the Holy Spirit to help us discern truth along the journey.

Every day you have a choice to believe you are a beloved child of God.

Choose to believe it.

Choose to be set free.


MJK_6981-3 copy Ginny Priz is a Christian television show hostcoach, author and speaker. Ginny has overcome her own drama with a prosthetic arm, alcohol, panic disorder, and codependency. She has a passion for guiding others toward the same peace and freedom she has come to experience. Ditching drama is possible for anyone “armed” with God and the Serenity Prayer! It’s never too late to start your own Serenity Journey.

Check out her book Ditch The Drama.

Get a 30 minute Clarity Call  FREE.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *